Monday, February 25, 2008

(Plant of the Week) Chamomile

Well, in an effort to actually be truthful to my blog's name, I figured I should post a bit about the awesomeness of some sort of plant with useful properties...

So, I've chosen chamomile, which makes a nice tea and looks good to grow ^_^

First off and foremost, chamomile is incredibly useful for... Stomach cramps! This is by far the most nifty use of chamomile in my opinion, because cramps suck majorly... and just drinking a bit of chamomile tea can lessen and even get rid of the pain ^_^ This includes menstrual cramps, or so I hear. No first hand experience on that one ^_^;;

That's just the tip of the iceberg for this plants internal uses too, as it also can be used for gassiness, sick tummy, tummy aches, diarrhea, fever/cold, congestion, headaches, sleeping problems, stress, nervousness (Chamomile is a relaxant, so if you ever feel too tense or fidgety... I *think* that's why it's good for headaches too... but not 100% sure on that one) and it helps digestion!
*phew*
AND it's also useful to help reduce teething pain in babies

Jeeze, that list sounds like the side effects of a bottle of pills...

As for the outside of your body, Chamomile can be ground into a paste (then add oatmeal for desired consistency) and used to help treat burns, rashes, and infections.

Simply put, this herb is useful for a LOT of things, and it doesn't taste half bad neither if I do say so myself. When me and my four siblings (One brother, three sisters) were younger, our mother used to always give us chamomile tea for stomach aches, and we always felt better afterwards.

Chamomile is generally easy to grow, and it's not hard to find seeds for them at your local garden store ^_^ (I got my seeds for it on Gardenweb, though)
Just remember you use the flowers for the tea ;-)

And thus concludes the first Plant of the Week (Which I just randomly made up and decided to do, so yay spontinuity!)
I'll start posting every Monday about the Plant of the week, which might be a plant that's simply easy to grow, something neat, something nice to look at, or more likely something edible with useful nutritional properties ^_^

Thanks for reading!

No comments: